When Should Your Child First See a Dentist?
Lack of sufficient oral care would result in children facing possible tooth decay that can even lead to serious complications in their lives. Research shows that early childhood tooth decay is common in children than asthma.
The dental associations in most countries have reason to recommend that every child sees a dentist 6 months after the eruption of the first tooth,which usually is around year one.
Why Should You Take Your Child to See a Paediatric Dentist?
- Early detection of any dental issue. At the office, the dentist will examine and evaluate their teeth,gums and jaws to check for any issues. They can easily pick up an issue before it starts causing pain or discomfort to the child
- Children are more susceptible to dental caries(tooth decay) because they have a thinner enamel layer and they consume a lot of sugary and sticky foods. Proper oral hygiene at home and visiting the dentist twice a year for check ups and cleaning can prevent dental caries and gum disease
- Regular visits to the dentist will create a positive attitude towards good oral hygiene practices that the child will maintain in adulthood . It can be hard initially, but the child gets used to it and some enjoy the visits to the dentist. Pediatric dentists are very gentle and accommodating to children. The overall effect is reduction of dental anxiety which is very common in dentistry
- Present issues such as cavities and tooth decay can be solved at the dental visit. This prevents further spread to deeper tissues of the tooth and cause more problems. Early management of these problems also saves on the cost of dental treatments
What Are Some of the Dental Treatments Available for Children?
- Tooth extractions
- Space maintenance after early tooth loss to prevent misalignment
- Filling placement
- Dental emergencies e.g. tooth fractures, lost teeth
- Fissure sealant to prevent caries (tooth decay) development in high risk patients
- Diagnosis and treatment ofgum disease
- Dental consultation and examination
- Full mouth scaling, polishing and fluoride treatment
- Management of teeth stains
- Pulp therapy for baby teeth